Director of Children, Youth, and Family Ministries – Job Description
Ephesians 4:11-13: “It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.” (NIV)
It is not the purpose of this job description to be a rigid set of rules, but rather a set of guidelines, which can grow and change when necessary for a more effective accomplishment of the ministry of the church.
Vision for Faith’s Director of Children, Youth, and Family Ministry:
- A ministry that creates safe relationships, a fun atmosphere, and a deeper connection with Jesus Christ
- A ministry that supports the overall mission of Faith Lutheran Church to bring joy to Jesus and experience joy in Him.
- A ministry that engages all people:
In a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ
In the ministry
In meaningful relationships with their peers
In serving the community
In the life of the greater church
- A ministry that provides one on one interaction with caring individuals; small groups; and large group experiences.
- A ministry with involved, well-equipped volunteers who are growing in Christ through their service.
- A ministry that sees other ministries in the community as opportunities for cooperation, not as competition.
- A ministry that is leading individuals (inside the church and out) into a lifelong commitment to Jesus Christ.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Primary coordinator of a unified program for all ages, partnering with the Children, Adult, and Youth Christian Nurture teams. Effectively communicate these programs to the congregation.
2. Provide primary leadership in developing appropriate and effective programs for children, youth, and their families, evaluating and recommending curriculum, and obtaining materials.
3. Direct a teacher assistance and training program.
4. Oversee and assist in recruiting a talented team of volunteers for children’s, youth, and adult ministries.
5. Provide guidance and assistance to programs including: Sunday School, confirmation class, youth group, adult Sunday School, and intergenerational programs.
6. Facilitates regular youth meetings for Middle School and High School students.
7. Building relationships with the young people of Faith Lutheran Church and the Spencer area.
8. Plan and promote camps, retreats, trips, concerts, mission trips, outreach events, etc.
9. Build relationships with other youth ministry leaders in the Spencer area; seeking to cooperate for kingdom building as much as possible.
10. Integrate the children’s and youth ministry with the larger church body.
11. Be a part of the church staff team attending staff meetings and encouraging and supporting the overall mission of the church.
12. Work with lead pastor and other teams as appropriate to fulfill the overall vision of Faith Lutheran Church.
- Passionately in love with Jesus.
- Knows the Bible and can relate faith to everyday life.
- Ability to have fun, be serious, and maintain order in meetings.
- Ability to relate to kids, youth, and adults and the stamina to keep up with them.
- Ability to teach and preach during Faith’s workship.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to build a team, and take it in a unified direction.
- Loves kids. Able to build trust with young people and their parents.
- Coachable. Life-long learner.
- A heart for those who do not know Jesus.
- Ability to communicate his/her faith and love for Christ.
- Shall subscribe to and become familiar with the teachings of the Lutheran Church.
- Have a working knowledge of the needs of children and their families.
- Personable and outgoing with an ability to relate well to people and recruit them into the ministries or which they are gifted.
- Have some creative abilities, casting the big picture vision for children and families at Faith Lutheran Church.
- Preference may be given to a candidate with Christian ministry experience.
- College degree preferred.
- Have strong musical and drama abilities.
- Have computer and social media skills.
- Is, or will become, a member of Faith Lutheran Church.
1. The Director shall be supervised by the lead Pastor.
2. Goals and programs for the year will be developed with the Pastor, and the Children, Adult, and the Youth Christian Nurture teams.
3. Goals and programs will be approved by the appropriate ministry team and reviewed by the Lead Pastor before implementation.